The National Theatre of Scotland – Established in 2006 and has already earned a significant national and international reputation for its daring and originality.
Aberdeen Theatres and Venues
- His Majesty’s Theatre
- Lemon Tree – 5 West North Street, Aberdeen, AB24 5AT
- Music Hall – Union St, Aberdeen AB10 1QS
- Tivoli Theatre – 34 – 48 Guild Street, Aberdeen AB11 6NB
- Bedlam Theatre – Home to the Edinburgh University Theatre Company (EUTC) for the past 30 years. The Bedlam is housed in the former “New North Free Church” at the foot of George IV Bridge in Edinburgh.
- Festival Theatre
- King’s Theatre
- Edinburgh Playhouse
- Queen’s Hall – offers a wide range of events to tempt you all year round – classical, jazz, blues, pop, rock, world, folk and comedy, and is also home to the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.
- Royal Lyceum
- Traverse Theatre – Scotland’s new writing theatre
- Citizens Theatre
- Eastwood Park Theatre – Giffnock
- King’s Theatre and Theatre Royal
- Glasgow Pavilion – The Scottish National Theatre of Variety
- The Tron Theatre
Theatres – Rest of Scotland
- The Gaiety – Ayr – Theatre and Arts Centre
- Woodend Barn Arts Centre – Banchory
- The Barony Theatre – Bo’ness
- The Fullerton – formerly the Lochside Theatre – Castle Douglas
- Cumbernauld Theatre
- Theatre Royal – Dumfries – The Oldest Working Theatre in Scotland
- Alhambra Theatre – Dunfermline
- Dundee Rep – A national cultural asset which the people of Dundee feel ownership over and in which they can take enormous pride.
- The Warehouse – Lossiemouth
- Mull Theatre – Isle of Mull
- Eastgate Theatre & Arts Centre – Peebles
- Perth Theatre
- Pitlochry Festival Theatre
- Byre Theatre – St Andrews
- MacRobert Centre – Stirling
- An Lanntair – Stornaway
Scottish Theatre Companies
- Dogstar Theatre Company – Inverness
- East Kilbride Rep Theatre Club
- Grey Coast
- Hopscotch Theatre Company – has been entertaining young people in Scotland with fun and educational theatre performances for more than 18 years.
- Studio 32 – East Kilbride.
- Theatre Alba – bringing innovative and critically acclaimed drama to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and beyond.
- Theatre Cryptic – The award-winning Cryptic was founded in Scotland in 1994 by Artistic Director, Cathie Boyd. Since then its innovative staging of music productions has established Cryptic as leaders in creating unique multi-layered sensory experiences, making ‘music to be looked at…not just listened to’.
Scottish Theatre Information
Scottish Theatre History
- The Scottish Theatre Archive
- Scottish Music Hall and Variety Theatre Society
- Andy Stewart – An Illustrated Record – Celebrating the life and honouring the memory of one of the most popular Scottish entertainers of the Twentieth Century.
- Sir Harry Lauder – University of Glasgow
- Jimmy Logan Obituary – from the Guardian
- Farewell tributes to Jimmy Logan – BBC
Scottish Drama Clubs
- Blairgowrie Players – Providing drama in Blairgowrie for over 50 years.
- Dollar Drama Club
- Fintry Amateur Dramatic Society
- Killin Drama Club
- Perth Drama Club
- St Boswells Drama Club
- Thurso Players
- The Scottish Community Drama Association
SEE ALSO – Film and Cinema